Us

Us
Adding Color to Personal Pictures

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Divine Scalamandre




Few companies come to mind when thinking fabrics, ok American fabrics.  The one that I have forever embossed on my mind is Scalamandre, specifically their Zebra print.  I think of them and I think out of my league, price league that is.  How wrong I was to believe such a thought.  On my most recent trip to Manhattan I was leaving Dylan's Candy Bar walking back to The Algonquin, when I was reminded of them as I briskly strolled south on 3rd Avenue.  There they were~Scalamandre, their building looks alone in a block of more commercial style office buildings, theirs a building left  from another time, from a time when men built fabulous homes in this once opulent part of New York City. This building is from that early 20th Century, that once glorious neighborhood [still an amazing neighborhood by far].  Inside the facade one finds fabrics to drool over as I tiptoe about feeling unworthy.  The man in charge was kind, friendly and inviting.  I knew I could afford one item for I had done a bit of research, one of their umbrellas.  I quickly grabbed one to purchase as to look like a lady on a mission and not some groupie gawker.  Oh how I wished I had looked around a bit more, next trip I will for certain savor the interior of 942 3rd Avenue!  I made by purchase & ran out, ok, I did spent about 5 minutes looking about & realizing most was quite dear in price.  Upon returning home to Maryland I come to find that Scalamandre has a shop called The Third Floor which caters to ladies like me, ones on a more tightened purse string or perhaps those more conscientious of sending loads of dough currently.  I have now ordered 5 yards of their delightful Seashell Baroque.  When I tell you the price you will have to check for yourself how affordable some of their fabrics happen to be.  Yes, a mere $19.75 for a yard of this dreamy under the sea printed cloth to truly drool over.  There is something for anyone who has the desire or taste to add a touch of Scalamandre to their home!



One last mention for anyone who once lived in Manhattan, let's remember Gino's & their relationship to the Zebra Print & the restaurant's relationship with Mr. Franco Scalamandre. As the New Yorker states~Basta!

No comments: